Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Saw What You Did!

I saw what you did!

Hey Y'all,
Our identity verse today is Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." HCSB

Now there is a lot to gnaw on here, and I'm sure, like me, you have heard this verse many times before. Like the Great Commission, we know we are to be witnesses for Christ in our own city, state, country and all over the world. I know I have heard this verse preached about during many sermons on missions/evangelism. We should take this directive seriously and be about spreading the news everyday.

But our question for this study is: What does this say about what God thinks of me?

So I looked at the only word we are actually called, witnesses.

As I've searched out this word, I see something wonderful here I've never connected before. I am a witness for or against Jesus. In a court of law a witness is someone who has seen, heard, or experienced an event that happened. They were in most cases a participant, even if only as an observer. A witness is also someone whose signature verifies that something is true, such as the witnesses to a will or a marriage license. In either case a witness is someone who by their own omission or the courts, has been considered a truth bearer to the event.

Now, as I've pondered this over the last week or two...or more...I have been amazed at how that sits with my being. I am a witness to Jesus. I am a witness for Jesus. Why? Because I have participated in events where He has acted...either by experience or by observation.

I know and can bear truth to Jesus because I have experienced Him.

When I look at this verse like that, I am filled with awe, wonder, and pride. Yes, pride! Not the bad kind that seeks self. But a good kind that is humbled and yet honored to have been chosen to be a truth bearer for Jesus...to testify, tell and share about my experiences with Him.

So listen up!

You and I can shout from the mountain tops....Jesus, I saw what you did! I heard what you said! And I know what I've felt with you...I am a witness!

Love you all so much!
Pamela

1 comment:

Kristen Myers said...

What an honor to be considered a "witness" for Jesus here on earth. And to think that someday, we will be more than witnesses at the wedding, we will be the bride!