Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A Delayed Fairy Tale

I love fairy tales.  I still read them occasionally.  I bought Zoie a book about Princesses when she was around 7 or 8 years old.  She has long forgotten it.  Not me, I still like the stories.

So today I am going to tell you a fairy tale.
My own.
I have a secret identity.
I am the "Kudzu Princess."

Being from the south I am all too familiar with kudzu.  It is a vine like plant that is indestructible!
You can burn it...it will sprout right back up.
You can poison it...it will survive.
You can cut it and pull up the roots...and it will still sprout again.

It grows about 2 feet a day and consumes everything in its path.  I have seen it consume an abandoned mobile home till it was invisible.  It will cling to anything, wires, trees, walls, metal...anything.

Most people in the south hate it...I... admire it.  I want to be more like kudzu.  So I call myself The Kudzu Princess.

Today this Kudzu Princess has run straight into a two-headed giant.  It is one of the biggest and meanest giants I continue to face.  I have run from and fought this giant before.  Sometimes gaining ground...sometimes loosing TERRIBLY.

This two-headed giant I cannot defeat on my own.  I've tried.  I have used the "sword of will power," the "shield of religious works," and have even shot it with the "rifle of service" to others.  Although they have wounded the giant, the monster still attacks  It wants me to run and when I do I fall right into it's trap.

Maybe I should tell you the giant's two names.  The first head on this giant is beastly and is the one I see first. It's name is PROCRASTINATION.  I sometimes can wound it and it will disappear inside it's monstrous body.  But that is the moment that the second head shows up.  It is deceptively more pleasing than Procrastination.  This handsome giant talks in a soothing tone, and out of it's mouth comes promises of pleasure.  I find myself having a hard time resisting his alluring and hypnotic stare.  Once again I realize too late that I am trapped in the coils of LAZINESS and defeated.

Not today!  Today I prayed and asked GOD what stone did I need to throw at this two-headed giant.

I asked how to be more like King David, How to be a true Kudzu Princess.  I searched for the right stone and GOD lead me to this verse...

1 Samuel 15:22  "Then Samuel said: Does the LORD take pleasure in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as obeying the LORD? Look: to obey is better than sacrifice, to pay attention is better than the fat of rams."

So the stone is OBEDIENCE. Today I am obeying and writing this blog with utmost obedience.  I will not be stalled by "Procrastination" or allured into pleasure traps by "Laziness."

I will be like kudzu and write and grow today.  I will be like King David and trust GOD with my obedience rather than false sacrifices or weapons of my own flesh.

I pray earnestly that this fairy tale will speak to you.  We all face giants who will continue to popup and try to defeat what GOD wants us to do.  GOD has not called us to fight alone.  HE has not given us the power or authority.  We are HIS servants.  We only need to be obedient.  Then HIS SPIRIT will guide the stones and kill the giants.

I discovered something else today.  Although, I was trapped in the snare Laziness set before me today,  I was deceived into choosing what seemed more fun, rather than obey and write to you.  Once I picked up that stone and obeyed, I HAD THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD ALL DAY!!!!!

I love you JESUS!
Your Kudzu Princess

No comments: